Friday, May 20, 2011

Busted...

Blog number 1. Here we go.... 


So I'm 31.  It's time.  Time to do my part and bring beautiful, talented, smart and athletic children into this crazy world to make it a better place.  But, like everything in my life, it isn't going to be easy.  See I have what is called Polycysitic Ovarian Syndrome...or PCOS.  It is a hormone imbalance that effects many different things but the main one is it causes infertility.  That doesn't mean I am sterile.  It just means that I don't ovulate regularly.  It also means that I am insulin resistant.  My body rejects the insulin it creates and instead of burning it immediately turns it to fat...hence the weight gain...awesome.  My doctor put me on Metformin, which is for diabetics....again...awesome.  I have been doing some research to have a better understanding and in the process stumbled across a blog by a nice lady in Australia who is going through the same thing.  So.....  I decided it would be good to get my thoughts out.

 
Here is a shortened version.  So I used to go to this other Doctor (gynecologist but I'm not crazy about that word so I am just going to forever refer to her as Doctor...and yes it is a chick...no way in hell I am letting another man anywhere near that glorious side of me) and she didn't think anything was wrong.  Even though I was on the pill and hadn't had a period in six months.  She said some women just don't and I should consider myself lucky.  Still toying around with the idea of suing for malpractice but I've been a bit busy lately. :)  So I changed doctors and she (still a woman) immediately diagnosed me.  See!!!  I knew I wasn't normal!!!! So that was a year ago and now we have moved into the let's have a baby phase in the treatment.  She put me on meds to have a period each month.  Take for 7 days then 3 days later you should have your monthly.  So last week I went in and got the usual question that I always dreaded. "First day of your last cycle?"  This time I actually knew... "May 5th...Cinco de Mayo....  But that was after waiting to see if I could have one on my own" Silly, Silly Lindsey.... "before that it was March 17th (honeymoon...so fun!) both with the meds."  Doc says..."I'm stepping in, come back next week for an ultrasound."  DEAR LORD!!!!!  Ultrasound??!!  What if she doesn't see anything, what if there aren't any ovaries at all....??? Husband has to work so who do I bring b/c at 31 I'm too scared to go alone? Mommy.  I love my mom.  So doc does the ultrasound and says yep...PCOS alright.  I see lots of little follicles but this one is bigger than the others so let's see you back in 3 days to see if it is developing... Three days later same routine but she says it has gotten bigger.  Maybe, just maybe.  There is a chance it will develop into an egg.  She said if it doesn't then she will put me on meds called Clomid.  I looked that up.  "Helps develop eggs for ovulation....Chance for multiples."  MULTIPLES???!!!!!  Not sure how I feel about that.  I guess I shouldn't get ahead of myself.  So it's back to the doctor on Monday to see if it has developed more... Thank God for good insurance.


So what is with "Busted...."  Well I am a high school choir director.  My kids are working on a project so they sit and do research while I sit and grade...or plan...or blog. :)  2 of my favorites came over to my desk to ask a question and caught me.  "Party of 3, Please?"  What's that?  I haven't really shared my feminine struggles with them and have said I have been going to the dentist when I am not in their class and they ask where I am.  So I told them what's been going on.  " I knew you weren't going to the dentist all those times."  Busted....

No comments:

Post a Comment